Metabolism declines with age
A decline in metabolism is natural as we age. According to John Berardi, PhD, CSCS, author of The Metabolism Advantage, your metabolism declines about 5-10% per decade after age 25. This means that you may find yourself gaining weight despite eating the same as you always have. A slower metabolism also means you will have a harder time losing weight, even if you’re cutting calories, but exercise and supplements can give raise your metabolism and help you lose stubborn weight.
BCAA – One of Dr. OZ’s top “Mega Metabolism Boosters”
In Monday’s episode, Dr. Oz revealed his list of supplements to rev up your metabolism. One of his first suggestions was BCAA. BCAA stands for “Branched Chain Amino Acids,” and it has been used by athletes and bodybuilders for years to reduce muscle breakdown and improve performance. Maintaining lean muscle mass is important in firing up your metabolism, because muscle tissues burn more calories than fat tissues. Also, a pound of dense, compact muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, so more muscle means you’ll look trimmer, even if your weight remains constant.
BCAAs cannot be synthesized – they must be ingested directly
According to Dr. Oz, “One thing you do is you work out, but you don’t build up the lean muscle because you don’t have the building blocks you need.” BCAAs are those building blocks. The BCAAs are valine, leucine, and isoleucine. These are essential amino acids, which means your body cannot utilize other amino acids to produce these. They must be obtained from food or supplements. These 3 amino acids make up about a third of muscle protein. Research conducted at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has shown that for people age 40-60, those who consume high levels of BCAA weigh less than those with low BCAA intake.
Try it yourself!
At Peaceful Planet, we carry three protein powders that are particularly high in BCAA. Choose one of these to add to your shake, smoothie, or baked goods:
Dr Oz’s recommendation is 1,000 mg of BCAA a day.
What else did Dr. Oz recommend?
- Sage leaf tea, which helps regulate blood sugar.
- Greek yogurt and lemon — the yogurt is high in calcium, which helps your cells burn more fat, while the vitamin C in lemon increases calcium absorption.
- White bean extract, the “sugar eraser,” which decreases the amount of sugar and carbs absorbed by your body and stored as fat. Take it before a high-carb meal or sugar-laden snack to help negate the carb effects and suppress appetite. White bean extract is one of the main ingredients in our Solo Slim Advanced Evolution.
- Acacia fiber powder, a natural soluble fiber that helps keep your digestive system healthy.
- Hawthorn berry, a natural alternative to the water pill, which reduces bloating and water weight. Get your daily dose in Catie’s Whole Food Men’s Vitamin.
- Dandelion tea, which removes excess fluid from the body by inducing the production of more urine.