This detox aims to help your body heal the damage caused by fatty foods, processed sugar, and alcohol. Dr. Junger says that this diet can ease bloating and is ideal for those who carry extra weight around their midsection. If you crave salty, fatty, or fried foods, rely on fast food regularly, or drink alcohol frequently, this gut flush cleanse can give your digestive system a break and help you regain a good balance of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- The diet lasts for 5 days, with 2 liquid meals and a solid lunch each day. You may snack on veggies or 1 cup of almonds or blueberries.
Foods to avoid:
- Grains — no wheat, oats, barley, quinoa, rice, or other grains
- All alcohol
- All processed foods
- All processed sugar — no white sugar, brown sugar, agave, or substitutes (Equal, Splenda). Stevia is allowed.
Foods to focus on eating:
- Whole vegetables, including sweet potatoes and yams; greens and fresh vegetable juices
- Whole fruits, including berries (fresh or frozen), avocado, coconut
- Wild-caught fish, grass-fed meat, eggs
- Fermented foods
- Nuts and seeds (including nut butters)
- Caffeine — via green tea — in small amounts
Dr. Junger’s Sample Meal Plan (courtesy of doctoroz.com):
- Day 1
- Day 2
Breakfast: Green Coco Shake Lunch: Amazing Green Salad with Black Olives, Avocado and Almonds Dinner: Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5